[78-L] Angel records in Canada

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Fri Aug 27 20:30:57 PDT 2010

I well remember the introduction of Angel LPs in Canada.  My first experience
was in 1954 or 1955 with a recording of Peer Gynt conducted by Beecham.  These
records, with the wooden rod in the spine, were pressed in England and sounded
magnificent.  I cannot think of any example of an Angel LP which wasn't the
equivalent of an HMV recording in England.  The story we got at the time was
that HMV had to use the Angel trade mark in America because they had severed
relations with Victor who owned the Nipper trademark.  Sometimes I saw an
English HMV labeled recording with an Odeon sticker over the HMV trademark.

Saying all of that, I don't remember how English Columbias were released in
Canada - since Columbia and HMV were the same company in England, perhaps they
were also released on Angel here, however, for some reason I remember Columbia
and Philips being linked.  I also remember an imported English pressed CBS
label.

db