[78-L] 78s on Angel in the USA and Canada

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 27 14:13:38 PDT 2010

I am curious about the Angel label and how it all fits into things.
The reason I ask is because of a disk that showed up on eBay by Les
Compagnons de la Chanson -- Lettre a Virginie b/w Quand on s'a, Quand
on s'aime -- Angel (Canada) catalog ANG C52.054. The eBay link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=17052917788

The trusty rusty wikipedia says that Angel was started in 1953 by EMI
in New York. Obviously, though, I've seen disks from much earlier
with the recording angel as the trademark. But, was 53 REALLY the
launch of a label with that name -- and in the USA?

I also note that the disk says that it is a product of Electrical and
Musical Industries (US) Ltd. I was unaware that EMI had any presence
in the USA prior to its involvement with Capitol.

But -- most curious is the fact that Angel is typically thought of as
being a classical or "serious" music label as opposed to a pop label
-- and Les Compagnons de la Chanson seem pop to me. It looks like
Angel did launch a pop series in 1954, and that the group had an LP
(10-inch one no less) on catalogue ABL 64000 in the USA.

Can anyone tell me if this 78 had a release in the USA. In fact, I
wonder what other pop 78s came out on Angel.