[78-L] 78s on Angel in the USA and Canada

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 27 15:28:57 PDT 2010

I've seen Angel EP 45s and popular LPs on US pressings but no American 78s.
However I've seen MANY Canadian Angel 78s..Piaf, Trenet, Becaud, and even a few
French entertainers with lesser reputations. Once English Columbia and
affiliated labels separated from US Columbia (or the other way around, if that
was the case) we began getting these recordings on wonderful vinyl master
pressings instead of the atrocious 78 dubs from shellac they fobbed off on us
in Canada. And 1953 (if not '52) was the launch date..I'm sure I have some
early release sheets somewhere.

EMI bought Capitol in 1957. Prior to that, the albums were imported (classical)
or pressed here (usually by Compo in Canada and "whoever" in the States,
wherever Soria could get a good deal as the US rep).

dl