[78-L] Brunswick 4814X

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Aug 27 14:14:29 PDT 2010

Ate,

I'm not sure anyone knows much about the identity of Tom Clines,  but I've
listened to most of the Brunswick sides repeatedly for some years,  and my
ears tell me that it may very well be a brassless and cut-down version of
the Bert Lown Orch.   This is not just because of Adrian Rollini being on
many sides,   but because the reed section and arrangements sound very much
like they came from Lown,  perhaps via charts written by Chauncey Grey,  the
pianist.

Just my theory,  but offered after a lot of listening!

BTW there are a few sides by Clines on Harmony,  slightly earlier than the
Brunswicks,  but they don't sound as distinctive as I recall.

Taylor