[78-L] Columbia 2938, Happy Birthday and Major Sound Effects

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 22 13:42:16 PDT 2010

This really is getting monotonous..every time I speculate on a record, five
minutes later I find it while going through the miscellaneous stuff. I've just
found Canadian Columbia 2938. Both sides are Joe Hayman: Cohen Exceeds the
Speed Limit/Cohen at the Call Office (mats. 29684 & 29517, both originally
Regal G-7066).

And I've also just run across one of the two Major discs of music cues for THE
GLASS MENAGERIE (looks like the second of two discs, and no credit for Paul
Bowles on the label, nor any catalog numbers).

And I've also just run across HAPPY BIRTHDAY on Avalon 510. More specifically,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WIFE..from ______________ (your name here), played by HARRY
TUSH & HIS SOCIETY ORCHESTRA, vocal chorus by the Rondoliers. Backed with Auld
Lang Syne. No idea of the date but it looks as if was recorded by Reeves c.
1940. And it is THE "Happy Birthday"..longer version, with the "May your
birthday be bright, full of cheer and delight, happy birthday happy birthday
happy birthday to you" extension. Done as a waltz. No composer credit.

Harry Tush!? Gotta be somebody's inside joke.