[78-L] 78 Album Sets outside the US & Canada

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 31 07:58:13 PDT 2010

I'm not sure about album sets of popular music in Europe, although there were some jazz compilations issued in the 30s and the Brunswick Showboat album was definitely issued as such (I have it), but classical album sets were definitely marketed in Europe and the UK, probably before the idea caught on in the States. During the 40s there was a serious restriction on the material used to make albums, and sets were sold without them as late as 1950 I believe. London and Deutsche Grammophon album sets were definitely imported into North America in the late 40s, although the albums themselves were probably manufactured in the States. London sets included Ted Heath, George Shearing, Ambrose, Harry Roy, plus dozens of classical works.

dl