[78-L] Pack em up and move em out

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 29 20:10:19 PDT 2010

Okay, here I go responding to the first message in what I know will be a long thread, but I just got in. The new plastic storage crates are pretty useless. The old style milk crates that Steve Barr uses are still pretty good, but for twelve inch records you want the really old ones, not the metricized ones that are a bit smaller.

Having said that, I'll advise you to go instead for VERY strong boxes that hold at most 60 78s and have double or triple walls. You might check any local purveyors of used boxes, since they sometimes have excellent ones that are made for transporting dishes or glassware.

Egg cartons, thick bubble wrap, scrunched up newspaper or newsprint are great for padding the boxes. Useless red Columbias (and for twelve-inch, green label Andre Kostelanetz 78s) should be placed at the outer edge of each bunch of records, and they should be packed standing up (unless you really need to sit down).

dl