[78-L] Milk Crates as shelving. Was: Reprise: London Records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jul 28 23:09:04 PDT 2010

From: "Mike Harkin" <xxm.harkin at yahoo.com>
> Are wooden cantaloupe crates still available from any source?
> When I started collecting in about 1960 in Los Angeles, you could have
> them for free out of supermarket dumpsters.  Eventually they woke up and
> started charging for them, first a quarter, later up to a dollar, till
> ultimately they disappeared, to be replaced by cardboard.  Thereafter, you
> could buy 'kits' from Sound Wherehouse for $3-4, IIRC.  How now?  Are they
> still to be had?

Back when I was MUCH younger (mid-fifties) they still used wood "orange
crates" to
ship oranges...and cigar boxes were also made of wood! Pop came in 24-bottle
wood cases (with deposits on them) which had their dates stamped on the
inside.
>From what I've seen, items like groceries were shipped in heavy wood boxes
(my grandfather used those to store his tools and odds+ends in in his
basement)!

Steven C. Barr