[78-L] Gene Lees RIP

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 07:31:27 PDT 2010

This article is a mess. I'm not absolutely positive, but I don't believe
that Lees ever studied at Berklee, certainly not toward a degree. I know he
lectured there on lyric writing.

Jerome Kern was his favorite lyricist??????? Johnny Mercer was his favorite
lyricist. Lees told me this himself. Kern didn't even write words as we all
know. Did anybody read this??

I stopped reading after this. It is so ironic that it was written and
published, as this was exactly the kind of article that would make Gene
furious, because he knew that once something appeared in a major or even
minor periodical, it would be used as a source for somebody else's article.
He didn't care if people criticized him, he just wanted the facts to be
correct. He believed that there should be a website refuting information
that was continually quoted and rehashed which wasn't true. He even went to
the extent of asking Dick Sudhalter to prepare such an entry for Bix
Beiderbecke.

Perhaps it is true that there has not been something about Gene with as much
information as this article, but it's a pity it can't be trusted. Let's see
how long it takes for an article to show up that discusses Jerome Kern, the
lyricist.

Sorry, Gene, my dear friend whom I miss very much.

Jeff Sultanof