[78-L] Columbia sublabels [was MGM-Supertone connection?]

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 8 20:26:37 PDT 2010

Han Enderman wrote:
> Probably here is the solution to the "dulication" of 1047-P:
>
> These titles (Painting/TipToe) were issued on SR 1047-P, 1074-P acc. to new ADBD.
> Label names not given, but SR 1047-P is Publix, and 1074-P is M-G-M.
> So David has them both, but with a different cat.nr (and has a pleasant evening to check and confirm this).
> Label images of both are available.
> Label of M-G-M 1074-P has credit The CAPITOLIANS; Publix 1047-P = The Paramounteers.
>
> Remains my question why the movie was shown in both theatre circuits (repeated here):
> One thing is not clear to me, concerning these movie theatres.
> Sutton-Nauck state (ARLC p130) that this M-G-M label was mfd by Columbia
> "for theater lobby sales at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film showings.... The records
> plugged songs from M-G-M films...".
> Publix was (p172) "for sale in Publix Theater lobbies at Paramount Pictures showings".
> Publix label says 'Painting The Clouds With Sunshine' is from The Gold Diggers of Broadway.
> Was this film shown in both movie theatre chains?
> Publix label logo mentions "Paramount Pictures"; M-G-M labels mention Loew's Theatres.
> Many M-G-Ms are by "The Capitolians, Capitol Theatre, N.Y.C."

The Capitol Theater was the center of the world for movie music for many
years. This started as soon as Erno Rapee came there and continued with
David Mendoza. Movies were sent there from Hollywood to be
"synchronized" for several years, even after the talkies became common.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.