[78-L] Gene Deitch & Howdy-Doody + ME

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jul 5 20:13:28 PDT 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> I actually listened to the Howdy Doody radio show when the CBC ran it around 1953.

Although I was bored by that time with the TV show I was a faithful
listener to the radio version.  The two books about the show both
discuss how the radio show was recorded in a radio studio separately
from the TV show, and that they had no need for Keesham since he didn't
talk and anybody could honk the horn -- so he lost out on the extra
money which was another reason to leave.  The blooper of the little kid
saying "I farted" came from a radio program recording session.

> In retrospect, it sounded as if a lot of bits and pieces were supplied and someone flung them together to fill the time, but maybe that was how the CBC got it (someone may have had to remove commercials).

There were song bridges that were heard week after week.  One was Loch
Lomand, and that was the reason why I went out of my way to visit Loch
Lomand when I went to Scotland.  I can tell you that NEITHER the High
Road nor the Low Road go to Loch Lomand.

> Soon after, the CBC began its own radio version of Howdy Doody, which was mercifully short-lived (I think my dad was asked to audition for it). CBC's TV version of Howdy Doody started a little while later and ran for years, depriving Canadians away from border cities of the real thing.  dl

I never heard anything about this.  They had a set of the
marionettes?????  Who was the human star, Toronto Tom?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com