[78-L] Decca 17,000 Cajun series

goldenbough at arcor.de goldenbough at arcor.de
Wed Jun 9 12:00:24 PDT 2010

The listing of this series at http://www.78discography.com/Dec17000.htm
has MANY, not only 'quite a few errors and typos'', as Cary Ginell states.
Some of the titles there have got nothing to do with what's on the record.

'The DECCA Hillbilly Discography', however, is correct - when I compare
the info with the actual records in my collection.

Must have been difficult for Cary Ginell to examine ''company label copy
and actual  issues whenever possible'', because the 17,000 series is not in
the archive. It was taken out from there by a well-known collector of early
Hillbilly music, way back in the 1970's.

The titles on the records are a maze anyway, because of the haphazard
spelling of Cajun language. Decca 17,023 ''La Turtape de Saroied'  (English
subtitle: 'The Turtape of Saroied')  should in fact be 'Le Two-Step de Savoy'.
Get the typos?

Turtape = Tustape = Two-Step.
Saroied = 'Savoied' = Savoy.
(In this song, Amédé Ardoin sings about Cajun musician Marc Savoy's father)

Now you know what problems with title listings I am facing with my upcoming
discography 'Cajun Music on Records 1925-2007' (from the first shellac disc
to the last vinyl) which will list records on 400+ diferent labels.  I fear that
half of the title index will cross-reference to 'correct titles' (like in the example
above) or refer to 'standard titles' as used by musicians, like:

'Vuves dela Coolay' see 'Veuves de la Coulée'
'Filles de la Coulée' see 'Veuves de la Coulée'
'Gens du village'  see 'Veuves de la Coulée'
'Black Sox'  see  'Veuves de la Coulée'
etc.

The basis of the discography is my own Cajun record collection which emcompasses
450 Cajun 78s, 1,350 Cajun 45s and 580 Cajun LPs.  That's >98% of all Cajun output.

Benno

--
WM 2010: Top News, Spielpläne, Public Viewing-Termine, E-Cards und alles,
was der Fan sonst noch braucht, gibt´s im Sport-Channel auf arcor.de.