[78-L] Decca 17,000 Cajun series

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Jun 9 12:27:37 PDT 2010

As I recall, I deferred to actual record labels first, and then to label copy, since there were sometimes differences. Most of the Decca 78s I found came from the collections of Eugene Earle and Donald Lee Nelson, along with my own stuff. There were very few that I couldn't track down at all in one form or another - these I took from existing catalogs. I don't remember if I saw label copy books for this series at Universal.

I always wondered what "Turtape of Saroied" was. Back when I was doing this, there was no Internet and corroborating facts was laborious and time-consuming. In fact, I typed out the first draft on an electric typewriter. When the book was published (it was with Greenwood, which requires camera-ready copy), I had to have someone scan my typewritten manuscript in order to get them data disks to work from (on 5 1/4" floppies). Imagine the quality of scanners in the late 1980s - "1"s were turned into lower case "l"s and vice versa. Doing that book was a nightmare. I got my first computer while I was writing it - it had two 5 1/4" floppy drives and 20 MB of hard drive space.

Cary Ginell