[78-L] Vertical cut book

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jun 3 20:27:15 PDT 2010

From: "Glenn Longwell" <glongwell at snet.net>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300434091606&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

>> If so I'd be curious if it was aimed North American, European or both.
>> From the description it also appears to be quite selective. I would
>> assume "serious worth" would mean only blues and jazz.

That WAS a joke, wasn't it?

From: "martha" <MLK402 at verizon.net>
> Local library has (or had) a copy; it listed mostly Opera,
> as I vaguely recall.

Yes, THAT is what is generally meant by terms like "serious worth".
Classical music forms, not popular, certainly not blues and jazz!
Considering that it is a British book, there were relatively few
"serious" vertical recordings in the U.S., and that the years 1897-1932
extend beyond the final vertical commercial recordings in the U.S., it
probably emphasizes European recordings.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com