[78-L] Russel's "Country Music Records"

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jun 3 20:55:50 PDT 2010

From: DAVID BURNHAM <burnhamd at rogers.com>
> Mike, you're killing me! I just paid over $100 for it at the ARSC book table,
> (although mine does have that rare orange "Bluebird" label on the cover).  db

In the back of my mind I was trying to remember if you had bought a
hardbound or paperback copy from Kurt. It is the paperbound copies that
are at these prices. And you can consider that I also bought a hardbound
copy when it was first published, never thinking there would be any
possibility that it would come out paperbound.  But I did get a pre-pub
discount, but I don't remember how much.  But I must have paid over $50
or $60.

As you (and others) have noticed, Leah and I work together as a team.
One of our techniques is that if one of us is book or record shopping
alone, if we wonder if we have found a bargain, we call the other one
and have them check on-line.  We have done this countless times and
sometimes found that we spotted a great bargain, but many times we found
that it could be gotten cheaper on the web.  When I had to get a new
phone in Jan, I got a data phone for the first time and now can check
web sites while I am shopping if either Leah is with me or if she is not
near a computer herself.  She has an iPod, and if the store has Wi-Fi,
she also can check herself.  Occasionally we have used a display
computer in a store like Best Buy to check on the price of a DVD we have
seen in that store!  They've lost a few sales because of it!  So it is
not only in the Silent Auction where we have our strategies.

So I do recommend that any of you with dataphones set up a shortcut to
the usual suspect websites to do price checks when at the stores.  Of
course that doesn't count if you are shopping for 78s or most LPs!!!
But it does count for old and used books.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com