[78-L] Bently or Bentley Ball

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jun 4 19:47:14 PDT 2010

From: "j f" <jfleming63 at msn.com>
> Educational, you say? Dear me, and to think what our schools are teaching
> our children today! Imagine the day when children were exposed to
> recordings entitled "Gallows Tree", "Dying Cowboy", and "O Graveyard"
> (such lovely subjects, what a shame they didn't have these at Columbine or
> Winnenden) ), to say nothing of "Jesse James" (gang violence - I'll bet
> there are a lot of schools that have never experienced it) and "Tribal
> Prayer" (thanks to the government our teachers are no longer allowed to
> teach Pagan values). We need more of that old-fashioned education!
> I'm not even going to touch "Go Down Moses".

Keep in mind that these records were merchandised to schools/teachers from
c.1915 or so to 1923...?! That was about 40 years before my grade-school
days (I started at Francis W. Parker in Chicago, but dropped suddenly to
Wayneville [Ill's.] Community Consolidated School District after my father
went abruptly and spectacularly broke in 1954...!). Although almost all of
my
school-mates enthusiastically participated in "hunting season," the quarry
was exclusively FOUR-legged...! I did get picked on and beaten up regularly
once I started high school (I was the official outcast; I have since
discovered
I probably suffer(ed) from Asperger's Syndrome,,,!); however, I settled that
quickly by picking up my main opponent  by his belt loops and tossing him
down a flight of stairs...!

Life was MUCH simpler then...especially in Waynesville, which had an all-
Caucasian Anglo-Saxon population. Of course, I wasn't taught a helluva
lot in my studies there...I didn't find THAT out until I attempted
University
(took me two tries...?!)!

And, back in them days, we had Senator Joe McCarthy and the Chicago
Tribune (and my father!) bravely protecting us from dreaded Communist
influence...?!

Steven C.  Barr