[78-L] Sugar In The Morning....

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com
Sun May 30 17:07:38 PDT 2010

From: "Cary Ginell"

BMI shows Odis Echols, Sr. & Charlie Phillips as the writers. Whether they
adapted the melody from the public domain or not, I can't say for sure.
Echols was the lead singer for the Stamps Quartet, which got its start in
1924, so it's possible he wrote the melody by the time "Animal Crackers"
came out.

> Cary Ginell
>
>> From: julianvein....
>>
>> Who wrote the melody to this tune ("Sugartime"?)? It was popular around
>> 1958 by the McGuire Sisters and Alma Cogan. I was watching the Marx
>> Bros' "Animal Crackers" (1930) today, and Chico played this melody on
>> the piano.
>>
>>       Julian Vein

On the soundtrack CD to "Animal Crackers", it is titled PIANO STRAVAGANZA.
No credit given.  Don't know if this is a clue to the composer, maybe
Vivaldi???  A classical expert should know.  Hear short clip here.........

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004W0YQ/internetmoviedat/

RayK