[78-L] Sugar In The Morning....

martha MLK402 at verizon.net
Sun May 30 21:33:48 PDT 2010

 Also played during the opening credits of MONKEY BUSINESS, 1931 - but the
Marx tune doesn't match Sugartime .  Explained at
http://marxcouncil.blogspot.com/2009/08/hes-daffy-over-sugar-in-morning.html
:

"Regarding Chico's theme song, this is what the late Frank Bland found out:

Motion picture audiences first heard what I call The Chico Motif (TCM) in
the film version of Animal Crackers in 1930. This is the tune most people
confuse with the McGuire Sisters' 1958 hit, Sugartime. While Sugartime bears
a strong resemblance to TCM, the fellow who wrote the former wasn't even
born when Chico began playing this theme.
Over the years, this theme became closely associated with Chico and was
often used to introduce him on radio and television. Always a solid
businessman, Chico knew a good thing when he saw (or heard) it. By 1933
Chico had published at least two separate songs using TCM. The first is a
song credited (words and music) to Chico Marx and Sol Violinsky, and called
I'm Daffy Over You.
(Note: There is a published version of the script from Monkey Business that
erroneously refers to this song as Sugar In The Morning, further confusing
the issue. This script was published after Sugartime [aka Sugar in the
Morning - MC] was released, and was probably someone's attempt to identify
the tune without doing the research necessary.)
The second tune to utilize TCM is the Chico Marx, Benny Davis, Sol Violinsky
collaboration, Lucky Little Penny. While there is a very slight difference
in the melody during the introduction and bridge (and the introduction is
much shorter), the feel and structure of this tune is identical to I'm Daffy
Over You."