[78-L] Localized presentations (was: concurrent presentations)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri May 28 21:27:17 PDT 2010

From: DAVID BURNHAM
> I'm just a newbie on the ARSC block. I didn't realize that it
> was a requirement that presentations should be locale related.

THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE TO.  The technical sessions are not locale related.
The cataloging sessions are not locale related.  Having SOME
presentations that are locale related started as a shout-out to the city
we were in, and hopefully a draw to some locals.  But it has become an
obsession to some, and I am horrified by Steve's comment.

IF NEW ORLEANS WANTS A CONFERENCE ON NEW ORLEANS MUSIC, LET THEM HOST
THEIR OWN DAMN CONFERENCE.  IF LOS ANGELES WANTS A CONFERENCE ON LOS
ANGELES MUSIC, LET THEM HOST THEIR OWN DAMN CONFERENCE.

EVERY city has occasional conference on their local culture.  THEY DON'T
NEED OURS.  We can have a FEW localized presentations, but the locals
are BORED with yet ANOTHER conference on their local "interests".  We
should bring them things from OTHER PLACES.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com