[78-L] concurrent presentations

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat May 29 20:28:59 PDT 2010

From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Speaking as someone who has attended all but two ARSC Conferences since
> 1971,<snip>

What makes it even worse is the simple fact that probably 90% of the
interpersonal
contact could be easier and more cheaply accomplished through exchanges of
digital messages...?! Consider that 78-L accomplishes essentially the same
thing that was once dependent on Len Kunstadt's "Record Research"...?!

AFAIK, "New Amberola Graphic," the other "bible" of us 78 lovers, is also
among the defunct...?! Thus, the actual question becomes "To what extent
is interpersonal physical contact really required, when digital "contact"
is much faster and MUCH cheaper?!

Back in the late seventies, I would send a question for publication in RR;
it would appear a month or two thereafter. Answers would trickle in
from the RR "community," and then be published as Len received
them (and elected to publish them?!). The "turnaround time" was at
least several months...or all too often a year, two or more!

To-day, we think of a question...and immediately post it to 78-L,
ARSCLIST. or both. Knowledgeable replies emanate almost
immediately thereafter!

I suspect it won't be too much longer until actual physical gatherings
of human beings start to become as obsolete as the old practice of
LK and RR already is...?! The only thing our physical selves can do
that our digital "avatars" can't is to hoist a few beers together...?!

Steven C. Barr