[78-L] Localized presentations (was: concurrent presentations)

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Sat May 29 07:21:13 PDT 2010

> From: mbiel at mbiel.com
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 21:27:17 -0700
> Subject: [78-L] Localized presentations (was: concurrent presentations)
>
>. Having SOME
> presentations that are locale related started as a shout-out to the city
> we were in, and hopefully a draw to some locals. But it has become an
> obsession to some, and I am horrified by Steve's comment.

Horrified? I hope not Mike. My point was that ARSC benefits from having local speakers talk on local topics. I learned a lot more on NOLa music from Chris S, Dan M and other local papers which allowed me to appreciate the music I heard in clubs.

No not all are local related but many opportunities like the 50s producers' panel wouldn't happen in another city. Also, for those who aren't aware, speakers are not compensated for their papers and pay they own travel. If they want to atten full conference they pay full registration.

I've been on the board for about 18 years now and am NOT involved in the program. But I will tell you that concurrent sessions are here to stay. I will also say that in the old days - before concurrent sessions - I used to take 1/2 a day off to go record hunting when a subject - usually technical which I had no interest in - came on. Now I don't leave and listen to the technical sessions on line to see if of any interest.

If we didn't have concurrent sessions this year - half of the subjects wouldn't have been covered and (with one exception - competeing sessions on Cajun music) the groupings were such that technical folks could have their sessions and those interested in the musical styles could have theirs.

THis chat can go on for a while but, honestly, it won't change anything.  I hope those who attebnded this years conference as their first (and 25% were First Time attendees will go to the ARSC site and listen to the audio files posted there for the last two conferences. There are literally 100 hours of audio there.

Steve