[78-L] Reprising Record Price Guides

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Wed May 26 19:13:17 PDT 2010

Han Enderman says: “And the first Frank Sinatra with Harry James (Br
8443) is common but much sought;
see www.popsike.com and you see, in descending order:
$ 2950, 1500, 1400, 1025, and then 307. I have noted 304 & 305 for
other copies.
I enjoy saving this issue and have images of 15 copies now.”

I went to www.popsike.com and was amazed at prices I saw for records by
Sinatra, Charlie Parker, and Billie Holiday. Holiday Vocalions,
Brunswicks with Teddy Wilson, and the “first” Holiday recording with
Benny Goodman were all selling above $100, and sometimes above $300.
The American Columbia issue of Holiday with Goodman sold for more money
than the English Columbia issue, which was actually the first release.
This is true for a number of Goodman’s recordings released on American
Columbia. Some collectors think they are the first releases and that
the English Columbias are reissues, but they are not; the English
Columbias were first, and, in my opinion, should be listed as such in
discographies.