[78-L] Reprising Record Price Guides

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed May 26 22:13:09 PDT 2010

From: "Geoffrey Wheeler" <dialjazz at verizon.net>
> Han Enderman says: “And the first Frank Sinatra with Harry James (Br
> 8443) is common but much sought;
> see www.popsike.com and you see, in descending order:
> $ 2950, 1500, 1400, 1025, and then 307. I have noted 304 & 305 for
> other copies.
> I enjoy saving this issue and have images of 15 copies now.”
>
> I went to www.popsike.com and was amazed at prices I saw for records by
> Sinatra, Charlie Parker, and Billie Holiday. Holiday Vocalions,
> Brunswicks with Teddy Wilson, and the “first” Holiday recording with
> Benny Goodman were all selling above $100, and sometimes above $300.
> The American Columbia issue of Holiday with Goodman sold for more money
> than the English Columbia issue, which was actually the first release.
> This is true for a number of Goodman’s recordings released on American
> Columbia. Some collectors think they are the first releases and that
> the English Columbias are reissues, but they are not; the English
> Columbias were first, and, in my opinion, should be listed as such in
> discographies.

Interesting (and applicable) story...! I bought one of the original
Brunswicks
of Holiday, for just over $2 (to my surprise!). It was in a Goldmine
auction,
noted "Paint on label"...most of the folks who responded seemed to be using
the r&r-45 approach whereby the labels have to be perfect...?! This was from
her '35 session.

Since then, I've been lucky enough to acquire a fair number of her
78's...all
for affordable prices!

Steven C. Barr