[78-L] Reprising Record Price Guides

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed May 26 19:31:28 PDT 2010

From: "Han Enderman" <jcenderman at solcon.nl>
> OK 40312 was sold for $2606 a few weeks ago, but in Oct/Nov last year a
> copy was sold for $137.
> OK 8724 by Mississippi John Hurt was sold in 2007 for $6778, but lesser
> copies sold for $762 and $306.
> And the first Frank Sinatra with Harry James (Br 8443) is common but much
> sought;
> see www.popsike.com and you see, in descending order:
> $ 2950, 1500, 1400, 1025, and then 307. I have noted 304 & 305 for other
> copies.
> I enjoy saving this issue and have images of 15 copies now.

The harsh and sad reality is that these "Official" price guides; probably
intended
to give 78-collecting an air of respectability (as in Scott's guides to
stamps and
the various quasi-official publications on coins...?!) have less than zero
accuracy,
reliability, and thus USEFULNESS!! Generally, they tend to err in the
direction
of any discs which the author(s) thereof just coincidentally happen to have
large quantities to be disposed of...?!

In almost 40 years of 78 collecting/accumulating...I tend to assume that
99.9% of 78's are worth $1 when sold individually...and MUCH less in
"lot sales!" There are, of course, a few exceptions; they tend to reach
much higher TEMPORARY values...which generally dissipate in fairly
short order...!

Further, actual RARE 78's (I own a Radiex disc promoting the label
being electrically recorded, which is so far unknown among collectors;
and an Okie record, issued by a Whiting,IN label, which may be the
last surviving example of its kind...?!) do NOT bring prices reflecting
their ratity,,,?!

Comment ca va?!

Steven C. Barr