[78-L] Gutter ball

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat May 22 08:33:33 PDT 2010

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:

> I have been told that this is how Boris Rose got into the record
> business, dubbing collectible jazz recordings. From that, he got into
> making off-air recordings of an amazing variety of material and artists
> and issued them on LP. For much modern jazz of the late 1940s and early
> 1950s, Rose’s recordings are the only documents of hundreds of live
> radio performances. Once while in the Washington, D.C. Tower Records, I
> came across a notebook binder. Opening it and paging through, I came to
> several pages that listed Boris Rose label names. Dozens upon dozens,
> and this was by no means all of them!. On his Session imprint alone, he
> issued dozens of albums of bop and modern jazz broadcasts. I was told
> by a collector who should know that a lot of this LP stock was sold
> after Rose’s death to Jazz Record Mart in Chicago. In addition to the
> records he issued, he would make custom dubs for people. Once in awhile
> these come up in auction.
In the mid-70s his Alto, Ozone and Session LPs were turning up very
cheap in the UK.

Sometimes his "live" recordings weren't that live--he was taping
broadcasts of radio transcriptions!

       Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5137 (20100522) __________

http://www.eset.com