[78-L] Gutter ball

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Sat May 22 09:13:09 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2010 11:33 AM
Subject: Re: [78-L] Gutter ball

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:

> I have been told that this is how Boris Rose got into the record
> business, dubbing collectible jazz recordings. From that, he got into
> making off-air recordings of an amazing variety of material and artists
> and issued them on LP. For much modern jazz of the late 1940s and early
> 1950s, Rose’s recordings are the only documents of hundreds of live
> radio performances. Once while in the Washington, D.C. Tower Records, I
> came across a notebook binder. Opening it and paging through, I came to
> several pages that listed Boris Rose label names. Dozens upon dozens,
> and this was by no means all of them!. On his Session imprint alone, he
> issued dozens of albums of bop and modern jazz broadcasts. I was told
> by a collector who should know that a lot of this LP stock was sold
> after Rose’s death to Jazz Record Mart in Chicago. In addition to the
> records he issued, he would make custom dubs for people. Once in awhile
> these come up in auction.
In the mid-70s his Alto, Ozone and Session LPs were turning up very
cheap in the UK.

Sometimes his "live" recordings weren't that live--he was taping
broadcasts of radio transcriptions!

       Julian Vein

I also make custom transfers of the same kind of material. However today's
transfers
cannot rightfully be called dubs. The generational fidelity loss of the old
dub technology
no longer obtains.

Boris Simmons