[78-L] Gutter ball

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu May 20 15:30:01 PDT 2010

> From: dialjazz at verizon.net
> Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 18:24:31 -0400
> Subject: [78-L] Gutter ball
>
> David Lennick says: “I've seen lots of Boris Rose material..this looked
> nothing like any I'd seen. Interesting.”
>
> I have been told that this is how Boris Rose got into the record
> business, dubbing collectible jazz recordings. From that, he got into
> making off-air recordings of an amazing variety of material and artists
> and issued them on LP. For much modern jazz of the late 1940s and early
> 1950s, Rose’s recordings are the only documents of hundreds of live
> radio performances. Once while in the Washington, D.C. Tower Records, I
> came across a notebook binder. Opening it and paging through, I came to
> several pages that listed Boris Rose label names. Dozens upon dozens,
> and this was by no means all of them!. On his Session imprint alone, he
> issued dozens of albums of bop and modern jazz broadcasts. I was told
> by a collector who should know that a lot of this LP stock was sold
> after Rose’s death to Jazz Record Mart in Chicago. In addition to the
> records he issued, he would make custom dubs for people. Once in awhile
> these come up in auction.

I've had a number of those custom lacquers..many of them used recycled record labels such as Temple and Sentry, where he'd type on the blank side. I could be wrong, but these didn't look like Boris's stuff.

On his LPs, he must have used a different label name for each issue! Distributors would know them as "Nostalgia Greats"..I may still have a numerical listing under that heading.