[78-L] Gutter ball

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Thu May 20 15:24:31 PDT 2010

David Lennick says: “I've seen lots of Boris Rose material..this looked
nothing like any I'd seen. Interesting.”

I have been told that this is how Boris Rose got into the record
business, dubbing collectible jazz recordings. From that, he got into
making off-air recordings of an amazing variety of material and artists
and issued them on LP. For much modern jazz of the late 1940s and early
1950s, Rose’s recordings are the only documents of hundreds of live
radio performances. Once while in the Washington, D.C. Tower Records, I
came across a notebook binder. Opening it and paging through, I came to
several pages that listed Boris Rose label names. Dozens upon dozens,
and this was by no means all of them!. On his Session imprint alone, he
issued dozens of albums of bop and modern jazz broadcasts. I was told
by a collector who should know that a lot of this LP stock was sold
after Rose’s death to Jazz Record Mart in Chicago. In addition to the
records he issued, he would make custom dubs for people. Once in awhile
these come up in auction.