[78-L] off topic - sandwich - Philly Hoagies and Cheesesteaks

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sun May 16 08:47:36 PDT 2010

Yes, I should have specified that the South Street places I had in mind
specialized in cheesesteak sandwiches. I had one for the sake of
curiosity. If I remember correctly, there was a nice restaurant across
the street that had a huge salad bar and a separate cheese bar. I was
in Philadelphia with my two daughters for July 4th 1981 and watched the
fireworks near the museum steps We stayed at the Adams Mark hotel.
During the ’80s, I used to visit Philadelphia on my drives back from
New Jersey (I was living in Virginia at the time) and work my way
through various restaurants. Since you live in Philadelphia you will
appreciate this: I used to drive down the single-car alleys to avoid
street traffic and try to get to the other end before another car
turned into the alley coming my way.