[78-L] off topic - sandwich - Philly Hoagies and Cheesesteaks

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sun May 16 08:55:52 PDT 2010

Steve, you are quite right! I should have specified that the South
Street places I had in mind specialized in cheesesteak sandwiches.
Never had a hoagie in Philadelphia. I had one of the cheesesteaks for
the sake of curiosity. If I remember correctly, there was a nice
restaurant across the street that had a huge salad bar and a wonderful
separate cheese bar. I was in Philadelphia with my two daughters for
July 4th 1981 and watched the fireworks near the museum steps you
mention. Music was provided by the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra. We
stayed at the Adams Mark hotel. During the ’80s, I used to visit
Philadelphia on my drives back from New Jersey (I was living in
Virginia at the time) and work my way through various restaurants.
There was a mystery book store I used to occasionally visit and I liked
the Frog Restaurant. This, of course, was a long time ago. Since you
live in Philadelphia, you will appreciate this: I used to drive down
the single-car alleys to avoid street traffic and try to get to the
other end before another car turned into the alley coming my way.