[78-L] Hitchcock's music (was Can't Directors...)

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sun May 16 09:06:57 PDT 2010

This was done intentionally. Hitchcock was very attuned to use of music in his films. There's a wonderful book on the subject: "Hitchcock's Music" by Jack Sullivan that examines in detail all of the scores, including most uses of source music, in his films. The idea of "Shadow of Doubt" was to have the most innocuous music become sinister. The melody associated with Cotten's character, who is a misogynistic serial killer, is Lehar's "Merry Widow Waltz." Thornton Wilder wrote the script and Dimitri Tiomkin created a blissful, Copland-esque score to depict sleepy Santa Rosa, California. Wilder knew all about underlying evil in an innocent setting, since he had written "Our Town." So the scene in the 'Til Two bar had to have a jukebox blaring not hedonistic swing or jazz, but something unchallenging that could sound more evil when played under Cotten's rant about the sickness in our society. It also showed how protected and innocent Teresa Wright's character was, when she could be intimidated by an ordinary bar with bland dance music coming out of the jukebox. I love this film.

Cary Ginell