[78-L] off topic - sandwich

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sun May 16 06:42:34 PDT 2010

For the most part, sandwiches on a baguette bear regional names, such
as “hoagie,” “sub” (for submarine), “po’ boy,” and, of course the
“hero.” For the best in Philadelphia sandwiches, one must visit South
Street in the Italian area. After I graduated from college in the
summer of ’58, I and a friend hitched through the American South,
spending about a month in New Orleans while staying at the Tulane
University DKE fraternity house. In order to get money during our stay,
I worked selling hot dogs from a hot-dog-in-a-bun shaped hand truck on
(I think) Bourbon Street. The hours were long. I soon got to understand
the full meaning of the words “petty criminals.” These are people too
stupid and inept to be serious criminals. They aren’t even bush-league
criminals, let alone minor-league criminals, as opposed to
“major-league criminals” who make the 11 o’clock news. In 1958, we were
not allowed to enter all-black bars. We tried, but were told we
couldn’t come in.

We hooked a ride from Pensacola to New Orleans in a car driven by a
12-year-old black boy. He picked us up while we were standing by the
roadside watching a group of klansmen trying to hook up a cross with
electric light bulbs. The cross was on a base with wheels so it could
be moved around. The many extension cords extended from a white man’s
house some distance back, across a field and the road to the edge of a
front yard belonging to a black family. All the klansmen needed was one
more extension cord to connect the cross and light the bulbs. Such
frustration! Just one more cord and they will have seized the day!!
They had to dispatch one of their own to a store to buy one. We just
stood there expressionless watching the whole charade, as though
watching a marvel of Man’s ingenuity. It was only when we were in the
car and a safe distance away that we cracked up.