[78-L] off topic - sandwich - Philly Hoagies and Cheesesteaks

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Sun May 16 07:38:43 PDT 2010

> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> From: dialjazz at verizon.net
> Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 09:42:34 -0400
> Subject: [78-L] off topic - sandwich
>
> For the most part, sandwiches on a baguette bear regional names, such
> as “hoagie,” “sub” (for submarine), “po’ boy,” and, of course the
> “hero.” For the best in Philadelphia sandwiches, one must visit South
> Street in the Italian area. >

Oh boy! You hit my "hot button" here Geoff! I live 3 blocks from South Street and on the border of "South Philly". Note South Street is not in SOUTH Philly. It is in Queen Village. The Cheesesteak place you are thinking of is Jim's at 4th and South. It looks like it's been there for years but only since 1979 - original Jim's was in West Philly. Pat's and Genos - across the street from each other and open 24 hours are the big names but MOSTLY for tourists and we are ONLY talking Cheesesteaks here. As for Hoagies - none of these makes a decent one.

When ARSC was in Philly about 10 years ago I took folks to Jim's just because it was convenient. You need a car to get to Pat's and Genos.

Come back to Philly one day and I'll guide you.  ;-)

BTW, your description of South Street and South Philly reminds me of the great scenes in "Rocky" - the original - where he runs from the Italian Market (in South Philly!) to the Art Museum steps (still the number 2 most visited tourist site AFTER the Liberty Bell). Actually they filmed the middle of his run in Kensington - which means that the actual run was probably at least 8-10 miles!

Steve