[78-L] 78-L a shuddering stylus

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat May 15 21:15:11 PDT 2010

From: "Malcolm Rockwell" <malcolm at 78data.com>
> Thanks for your replies, folks.
> I never have had any problem playing records like these and can adapt to
> just about any condition a record might be in to get al least one clean
> play from them, so that's not a problem. I had never considered a
> tonearm resonance, though. I use a Technics SP-15 table with an Audio
> Technica arm and a combination of Shure and Stanton carts in headshells
> of differing weight. A good, solid set up.

For MANY years (and I'm going to try and recreate it...?!) I used a "record
player" (early-sixties RCA, which had the original "Victrola" image on its
inside lid!)...with its cartridge leads cut and redirected to a "phone plug)
which was then plugged into the "Line In" jack of the Sony r2r deck
which I was using as the centre of my "sound system!"

I didn't know it at the time...but the 1-volt signal provided by the usual
ceramic/crystal cartridge happens to be the standard "Line level"
signal...?!

Sadly, a minor stroke (I think) has robbed me of most of my "fine
motor dexterity"...making it difficult (if not impossible?!) to do the
soldering needed to arrange the feed of my record player's signal
to the "Line In" jack of my computer/sound card...?!

I currently will be using a 2-mil (.002') diamond needle to play my
78's; however, I was lucky enough to pick up a 3-mil needle via
eBay! We shall see (and hear) what results...?!

Steven C. Barr