[78-L] New Orleans - response to Jeff's tips

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Sat May 8 05:30:53 PDT 2010

> Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 20:00:38 -0700
> To: 78-l at 78online.com
> From: jeff at swazoo.com
> Subject: [78-L] New Orleans
>
> For those who are going to the ARSC conference, here are some
> recommendations for things to do in New Orleans. I just got back from
> my eighth New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, and I'm pretty
> familiar with the city.

THanks for the tips Jeff. Guess yiou went the SECOBD weekend. Sounded like the first one got deluged with rain. I was disappointed that NPR or any other on line services didn't do streaming or podcasts of the music this year. EVery year since Katrina there were some. Some day I just may go, but it was great to at least hear them and preserve them.

> Louisiana Music Factory at 210 Decatur Street in the French Quarter
> is the place to buy Louisiana-oriented music.  LMF also features in-store performances
> by local musicians - these are usually during the day, however, so it
> probably conflicts with the conference.

I think that's where DAve SAger is having the new NOLA CD release party (FRiday night?). It's a great store and you can see it in the video I posted. I'm pretty sure that they arranged for a special discount for ARSC Conference attendees.

> The Hogan Jazz Archive at Tulane University is run by Bruce Raeburn,
> son of the bandleader Boyd Raeburn. Bruce is a great guy - very
> knowledgeable, and he likes to chat. You can get to Tulane on the St.
> Charles streetcar, which costs only $1.25 per ride. The archive is on
> the 3rd floor of Jones Hall. You should probably call first to make
> sure Bruce is there if you want to talk to him - the archive's number
> is 504-865-5688.

Bruce is giving a paper and I seem to remember that on Wednesday there are planned tours of the Archive by advance registration. (Me? I'll be at the Board meeting that day.)

> The George H. Buck, Jr. Jazz Foundation is located at 61 French
> Market Pl., on the other side of the block from the Palm Court Jazz
> Cafe (which is run by George's wife Nina). The Foundation manages
> several labels, including Jazzology, American Music and G.H.B.

George was to be involved somewhere in the ARSC program but I don't see it. THe Label is run by George's assistant Houcine (nice guy). ALL the back stock and even Lps are there. Not open to the public but if you call Houcine first, you can probably visit. Lots of neat memorabilia on the walls.

> OffBeat is a free paper that covers the music scene in New Orleans.
> You can get it at Louisiana Music Factory. The paper's web site,
> http://www.offbeat.com/, has comprehensive listings of who is playing
> where. Here are some concerts that look good to me around the time of
> the conference (your tastes may differ):
>

> Irvin Mayfield and the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra
> Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse
> 300 Bourbon Street in the Royal Sonesta Hotel
> 8:00 PM

THis club was my find. NO cover or minimum and great surroundings and 3 blocks from hotel. I plan to be there almost every night.

> May 21:
>
> Banu Gibson & Trio
> Bombay Club
> 830 Conti St.
> 9:30 PM

Wonder if SAger - who played with Banu when he lived in NOLA - will be sitting in?

> Leon "Kid Chocolate" Brown
> Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse
> 300 Bourbon Street in the Royal Sonesta Hotel
> 8:00 PM

This is the guy we saw in October and is in my video.

> Preservation Hall Jazz Masters featuring Leroy Jones
> Preservation Hall
> 726 Peter St.
> 8:00 PM

PH does 50 minute sets every night at 8-9-10. early sets get full quick. small space.

>> That's enough for now. I'll post some restaurant recommendations soon.
>

> - Jeff Lichtman

STeve Ramm