[78-L] New Orleans

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Fri May 7 20:00:38 PDT 2010

For those who are going to the ARSC conference, here are some
recommendations for things to do in New Orleans. I just got back from
my eighth New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, and I'm pretty
familiar with the city.

Louisiana Music Factory at 210 Decatur Street in the French Quarter
is the place to buy Louisiana-oriented music. The staff is friendly
and knowledgeable, and they have a wide selection of different types
of music (jazz, cajun and zydeco, brass band, New Orleans piano. . .)
There is a bookcase full of 78s upstairs, but I'll warn you that I
picked them over last week. LMF also features in-store performances
by local musicians - these are usually during the day, however, so it
probably conflicts with the conference.

The Hogan Jazz Archive at Tulane University is run by Bruce Raeburn,
son of the bandleader Boyd Raeburn. Bruce is a great guy - very
knowledgeable, and he likes to chat. You can get to Tulane on the St.
Charles streetcar, which costs only $1.25 per ride. The archive is on
the 3rd floor of Jones Hall. You should probably call first to make
sure Bruce is there if you want to talk to him - the archive's number
is 504-865-5688.

The George H. Buck, Jr. Jazz Foundation is located at 61 French
Market Pl., on the other side of the block from the Palm Court Jazz
Cafe (which is run by George's wife Nina). The Foundation manages
several labels, including Jazzology, American Music and G.H.B.

OffBeat is a free paper that covers the music scene in New Orleans.
You can get it at Louisiana Music Factory. The paper's web site,
http://www.offbeat.com/, has comprehensive listings of who is playing
where. Here are some concerts that look good to me around the time of
the conference (your tastes may differ):

May 18:

Rebirth Brass Band
Maple Leaf Bar
8316 Oak St.
10:00 PM

New Orleans Cottonmouth Kings
d.b.a.
618 Frenchmen St.
9:00 PM

May 19:

Irvin Mayfield and the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra
Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse
300 Bourbon Street in the Royal Sonesta Hotel
8:00 PM

Irma Thomas, Paul Sanchez, Glen David Andrews and Margie Perez
Lafayette Square
500 St. Charles Ave.
5:00 PM

The Loose Marbles
Spotted Cat
623 Frenchmen St.
6:00 PM

May 20:

Washboard Chaz Blues Trio
Spotted Cat
623 Frenchmen St.
6:30 PM

May 21:

Banu Gibson & Trio
Bombay Club
830 Conti St.
9:30 PM

Professor Piano Series
Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse
300 Bourbon Street in the Royal Sonesta Hotel
5:00 PM

Leon "Kid Chocolate" Brown
Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse
300 Bourbon Street in the Royal Sonesta Hotel
8:00 PM

Preservation Hall Jazz Masters featuring Leroy Jones
Preservation Hall
726 Peter St.
8:00 PM

Tipitina Uptown
Tab Benoit, Beausoleil
501 Napoleon Ave.
10:00 PM

May 22:

Washboard Chaz Blues Trio
Blue Nile
532 Frenchmen St.
7:00 PM

Brass Band Jam
Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse
300 Bourbon Street in the Royal Sonesta Hotel
12:00 PM

Tom McDermott
Donna's Bar and Grill
800 N. Rampart St.
9:30 PM

May 23:

Mason's VIP Revisited feat. Germaine Bazzle, June Gardner and David Torkanowsky
Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse
300 Bourbon Street in the Royal Sonesta Hotel
7:00 PM

The Loose Marbles
Spotted Cat
623 Frenchmen St.
6:00 PM

That's enough for now. I'll post some restaurant recommendations soon.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/