[78-L] CD-RW ADVENTURES

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Sat May 8 10:15:14 PDT 2010

At 08:47 PM 5/7/2010, you wrote:

>As this is a continuing thread I thought I'd add my tuppence fwiw.
>To date I've burned well over 1150 CDRs for myself with no apparent
>failures. Three of these are  COMP USA 80 minute  CDRWs  recorded in
>February 2002 from a multi Lp set.  I've just checked these and they
>play perfectly. When I bought my first CD recorder many years ago I
>was a complete novice with respect to CDR recording despite a
>professional background in music, audio and recording. I read many
>of the cautions about labels and pens on the web and have done my
>best to observe them even tough I can't recall ever reading anything
>on the subject on the web that seemed absolutely authorative. But,
>as they seemed to make sense I wasn't about to take chances.  I have
>very rarely ever used CD labels but have always used EXPO
>VIS-A-VIS  water-based pens (available at Staples). Their only
>drawback is that the   water-based ink  doesn't always "take" well
>on  some CDR surfaces. I never use permanent marker pens and have
>cautioned many friends to avoid their use. Usually this falls
>  on deaf ears and they continue on as usual. I also stay with "name
> brand" media having been burned once on a repeat purchase of
> no-name CDR media from a presumably reliable vendor. The first
> batch was perfect, the second 100 percent useless.  I still have a
> large batch of  blank Memorex CDRs which I'm using and are at least
> seven years old and they are perfect. Other than the aforementioned
> I've never had a problem with the well-known brands.

Other than those church sermon CDR's on unknown MID code media  I've
had some discs I burned years ago go bad with full face labels on
them that I have long since learned my lesson. No more labels for
me!! Only a sharpie or inkjet printing.....

>The only CDR failures I've ever experienced are from a (presumably)
>reliable and seemingly well established and well-intentioned source
>that specializes in restoring old radio shows and recordings. I
>haven't been able to determine whether their labels are printed on
>the nedia or are the traditional stick-ons that they
>print  themselves. A very large precentage of these CDRs have become
>unplayable in my various players or developed severe distortion. I
>can only assume that the labeling is at fault.

I'm sure it is. But then I'll bet you didn't think about copying the
discs before they started to go bad. I didn't think about making a
backup copy of the discs that went bad on me either.

Stay tuned....