[78-L] New Orleans - response to Jeff's tips

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Sat May 8 10:28:10 PDT 2010

>Thanks for the tips Jeff. Guess you went the SECOND weekend. Sounded
>like the first one got deluged with rain.

I was there for both weekends. It rained quite a bit on the first
Friday, but since I was in Economy Hall (the traditional jazz tent) I
managed to stay dry. It didn't rain much for the rest of the weekend,
but the fairgrounds were very muddy.

I should have mentioned in my previous posting that the New Orleans
Cottonmouth Kings are an excellent small swing band. The group is an
offshoot of the New Orleans Jazz Vipers, who split up last year (I've
yet to hear what the problem was). The musicians are Charlie Fardella
on trumpet, Matt Rhody on violin, Tom Saunders on bass sax, John
Rodli on guitar, Bruce Brackman on clarinet and Robert Snow on string bass.

Tom McDermott is my favorite New Orleans pianist. In addition to
straight jazz, he also plays ragtime and Brazilian choro. At Jazzfest
I heard him turn a Chopin piece into a rag.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/