[78-L] Bishop Pressinigs

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed May 5 16:17:25 PDT 2010

Bishop pressings also known for Coronet and West Coast.
This concerns the purple Coronet label, issuing a 1000 series.
I have images of 1020 Ernie Andrews (+ Baranco) & 1022 Marvin Johnson Orch.
(There was another Californian Coronet/Koronet label issuing a 100 series).
The West Coast label used WCR mxs (by Lu Watters).
WCR-40A is Trombone Rag (on 103)

Han Enderman
===
>>>  The Monday, November 9, 2009 weekly List included nine postings on
"Bishop Pressings." I just happened to hit on it minutes ago while
backtracking past listings. As Cary Ginnel correctly notes, Bishop
record pressing plant was an L.A. based business located at  810 Rollin
St. in South Pasadena. From what I've learned, the company specialized
in short-run small independent labels. Per contributions from other
posters on this subject, the labels identified with Bishop pressings
included Crescent, Session, Jump, S D, Fentone, and Dial. Session
started as a Chicago label but was moved to the Los Angeles area. Jump
was also based in Los Angeles. Some Jump records are similarly embossed
with "Bishop Pressing" but not all by any means. I have most of the
Jumo 78s. For more information on this label, consult the excellent
soft-cover bio-discography "The Jump Records Story," by Sonny McGown
and Bert Whyatt, published by IAJRC in 2006. Ross Russell of Dial
Records also had some of his issues stamped by Bishop. I have copies of
S D Bishop Pressings but don't know how John Steiner came to use
Bishop. Fentone (not Fen-Tone), a Division of Fentone Enterprises,  was
originally manufactured by Oliver Record Co., Oakland, Calif. Fentone
was started by white singer Hal Fenton (Elliot Dolgin), who lived in
San Francisco. The second group to be recorded by the label at the
Radio Central Recording Studio (probably early 1949) was Charles
Mingus, who was living at the time in the Filmore district. Four sides
were recorded and issued on 10-inch 78s Fentone 2002 and 2003. Ralph J.
Gleason wrote up the group in his March 25, 1949 column in Down Beat.
Gleason misspells the label name as "Fen-Tone." Recorded in late 1948,
Fentone 2001 was a 12-incher featuring the Owl Sextette. The best-known
player in the group was altoist Pony Poindexter, who later played for
Basie. All Fentone pressings are very scarce and may have been sold
only on a limited basis on the West Coast. The marvelous 96-page
booklet included in the Uptown set "Charles 'Baron' Mingus West Coast
1945-1949" provides excellent detail and photos of Mingus' playing and
recording activities.
(gw)
---I have a white label Bishop Pressing I've never identified.Side A says WCR36Side B says WCR40no other info.-- Thatcher Graham<<<