[78-L] Pony Poindexter [was Bishop Pressinigs]

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Thu May 6 06:23:23 PDT 2010

Taylor Bowie comments: “The LHR version of Little Pony is for sure
based on Wardell G's solo on the
Basie Columbia record.”

The original Basie recording of “Little Pony” was another fine example
of a sparkling Neal Hefti arrangement. I imagine Lambert, Hendricks,
and Ross loved Wardell Gray’s work. Ross did her own 1952 vocalese
version of Wardell’s 1949 Prestige recording of “Twisted.” Months ago,
I saw on YouTube a filmed live performance by Ross of “Twisted” that
was amusing. Ross also did a vocalese version of Wardell’s 1952
Prestige recording of “Farmer’s Market” that included trumpeter Art
Farmer in the personnel. The title was a word play on Art Farmer’s name
and that of the Los Angles Farmers Market that became a popular tourist
attraction in the 1940s and ’50s and remains so. I visited it in 1956
because of the record.