[78-L] Huh?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon May 3 22:14:01 PDT 2010

From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Steve, you did not come anywhere near close to the point I was making.
> I did not mention monetary value of the items at all.  That has NOTHING
> to do with what might bring a young person into stamp or coin
> collecting.  They have to become fascinated with something about the
> items.  My point was that this is hard to happen because how many young
> people use or even see stamps or coins in today's world?  People don't
> come to stamp or coin collecting from the established catalogs like
> Scotts, any more than they would come to record collecting by reading
> Rust.

I mas actually making a couple of entirely different points...!

First, there are a number of people who might take up coin/stamp
collecting as a financial venture (although how serious they might be
about this is admittedly open to question?!); second, the more
"organized" aspects of philately and numismatics might lead potential
collectors to the hobbies...?!

78 collecting, OTOH, seems to mainly appeal to those who enjoy
the musical content of their acquisitions. I might note that the
collectors of vintage LP's and 45's (especially the latter?) seem
to be more interested in the possibility of financial gain than us
78-ophiles are?!

Steven C. Barr