[78-L] Was " Huh?" Now "Wha?"

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon May 3 21:42:43 PDT 2010

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
> Last, I'm begining to think that Mr. Barr assumes that any young
> person collecting 78s would start doing so by buying several boxes
> (or milk crates) full of random stuff and then deciding to collect
> in some more selective fashion.

As Leah and I were driving this weekend thru the Berkshires where I got
my first wind-ups and my second large batch of records, I was telling
her that this was EXACTLY how I came to record collecting.

> The younger collectors I know started off with an interest in
> music and then took it from there.
> In other words, for most collectors, the music comes first
> and the records come second...not for all, but for most. Taylor

Like Steve, I also am not so sure about this.  Many come to 78s from an
interest in the medium -- the machines and the physical records
themselves -- and gather a group of random records from which they will
eventually find their likes and dislikes.  They might get records with
the machine they are fascinated with, or else they might find a pile of
records first.  When they come across their first 78s, Looking at the
labels in a store is a complete mystery.  (I found my first 78s in our
attic -- they had been my father's.  Even reading printed descriptions
in a book, or even worse, printed lists in a discography, cannot really
duplicate the experience of hearing the differing records.  However, as
it concerns Whiteman, if the unfortunate newbie gets a hold of one of
the many books which luxuriate in saying nasty things about Whiteman,
then he is likely to miss out on music he might like.  Fortunately in my
case I had already grown to like Whiteman's records before coming across
books like Rudi Blesh.  Yes, if someone hears something on the radio,
internet, or CD and asks how to get more of this, then they might get
led to the 78s, but more likely these days they will be led to the
internet or maybe CDs, not the 78s.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com