[78-L] Henry Burr Favorites (Was Huh?)

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Mon May 3 20:53:31 PDT 2010

I must come to his defense also!  A really wonderful singer, especially of
sentimental ballads.  One of my very first 78s (very worn and found in an
"antiques" store in Covington, GA) was "California and You" by Campbell and
Burr on Columbia (can't recall the number).  Really beautiful.  I wish I had
a clean copy.

I'm also very fond of Burr and the Peerless Quartet's "Red, White, and Blue"
on Victor 17652.  Very clever song, with a tune that I can't get out of my
head.

It also helps that I really love male quartets and tenors who sing with
them!

Lennick, what've you got against Will Oakland?  His duet with Billy Murray
of "Just for Tonight" is really beautiful...Ah, some people just have no
taste...(duck!)

To the questions raised about young collectors, I'm 27, and very actively
collect acoustic-era comic songs and ragtime, as well as '20s and '30s jazz.
And I'm a classical lover, too!  I'm still trying to figure out why I
started collecting 78s.  I think I was 13 or 14.  It must have been because
I loved OTR and collecting 78s seemed very logical.  I'm certainly not sorry
that I started (although my pocketbook often is!).

Re-cordially,
Sammy Jones