[78-L] Young collectors -- Go for it!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon May 3 21:05:54 PDT 2010

From: "Ted Kneebone" <tkneebone1 at abe.midco.net>
> Now I have read several posters who have encountered supporters and
> non-supporters of young collectors of records.  I surely agree with those
> who have encouraged the young people.

I used to, as a VERY young child, be allowed to play my father's 78's on
our RCA Victor radio-phonograph. When he died in 1973, I inherited
the 78's (about 300) because no one else wanted them. Over the next
several years (until late 1976) I ran across more 78's at flea markets
and thrift stores; in early 1977 I moved to Canada, bringing maybe
5-600 78's. I was then totally unaware that any other such collectors
existed!

After I moved to Toronto, I became aware of (and joined) the Canadian
Antique Phonograph Society. I started accumulating MORE 78's (and
met the late Jeff Healey, who also collected 78's!). Then I discovered
"auction lists" (mail-based) and also discovered "Don's Discs (run by
Don Keele, who still sells 78's...!) and my collection started growing
rapidly!

I also discovered ADBD (and immediately bought a copy...it was
only $35!) and the various other discographies, most compiled
by Brian Rust. Since I apparently suffer from Asperger's Syndrome.
my near-obsessive interest in dealing with data quickly appeared!

I never had any particular "mentors" that I can recall; the closest
was the late John Black...who sold me a number of 78's, but who
also took up with my then wife Lynda...?!

Steven C. Barr