[78-L] Young collectors -- Go for it!

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Mon May 3 12:33:30 PDT 2010

My love for 78s was instilled in me by my Mother, who let me play her
old 78s. This was even before I was old enough to go to school.

Later, after I got a litle older, I could play the LPs, but they weren't
as much fun, too slow. Who wants to wait 1/2 hour to watch the arm operate?

My first records - (LP) Mozart K.488 played by Geza Anda on DG.
Rachmaninoff playing his first concerto (on 78). Bought it for a quarter
from the nabor next door. I wondered how the piano player could be
listed as the composer also...did he actually live and make records?

As long as I was spending $$ on music, my Mother was happy. My Father
OTOH was not so happy about it when I, a little older yet, started
buying collectors comic books, until I started selling some of them. My
first haul there was a stack of comics for $400. He was amazed. I spent
the money on radio transcriptions.

joe salerno