[78-L] Young collectors -- Go for it!

Ted Kneebone tkneebone1 at abe.midco.net
Mon May 3 12:06:14 PDT 2010

Now I have read several posters who have encountered supporters and
non-supporters of young collectors of records.  I surely agree with those
who have encouraged the young people.

    We were young once!

We had to start somewhere.  Was it my "Jim Lawson's Hogs"?  Or Beethoven's
8th symphony?
I think for me it was a desire to hear good classical music.  In the towns
where I was raised there was no opportunity to hear a live symphony
orchestra -- except on the radio.  And even there, I had to put up with
static.

When I have the chance to encourage young collectors of "old time radio" and
old records, I am pleased to do that.

I sometimes wonder what will happen to the churches in town that do not
encourage participation by young people?  I look around at all the white
hair and the bald people.  Who will take their place?

And that same disintegration of churches will happen to collectors of old
stuff.  Old records, old radio programs, whatever else is old and of value
to the listener.  These young people are our heritage, our legacy.

Some of our heroes are on those discs:  Rachmaninov, McCormack, Heifetz, the
Lone Ranger, Jack Benny, Quiet, Please.  May their voices never be stilled!

Ted Kneebone. 1528 S. Grant St., Aberdeen, SD 57401. Phone: 605-226-3344.
Old Time Radio: http://abe.midco.net/tkneebone3