[78-L] Huh?

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 3 06:21:07 PDT 2010

Thatcher Graham wrote:

> I find that music collectors just a bit younger than me don't even know
> 78s existed.
> Or if they do, don't understand the different between them and LPs.
> having never played records of any kind, they recognize them by diameter
> not material or playing speed. My interns abstain from physical media
> entirely - downloading and sharing digital media exclusively.  They see
> our hobby as a novelty.

> -- Thatcher
==============
My experience was the reverse. In my mid teens (mid 50s) I wasn't
particularly interested in music, certainly not buying records. I only
knew about one type of record, but wasn't aware it was called a 78. When
I got interested in jazz, I found out about long-playing records and
thought they were magic, holding up to 30 mins of music per side. A
similar experience to wondering how they managed to squeeze 80 mins of
music onto a CD.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5082 (20100503) __________

http://www.eset.com