[78-L] Young Collectors of Old Shellac (was Susan Reed obit)

Tyrone Settlemier talk78s.settlemier at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 3 06:09:04 PDT 2010

Steven Barr wrote:
> 1) That's two out of HOW many...?! Any "bluegrass" fan HAS to collect
> 78's; Bill Monroe first recorded c. 1936 (obviously on 78!)...?!

Of course it's a minority.  And a very small minority of people in their
40s, 50s, 60s, 70, or into their 80s collect 78rpm discs.

If people only listen to music from their generation, then why is the music
of Bach or Debussy still alive?  I have a couple of other young people who
would never want to collect the original discs, but are happy for me to
share mp3s of big-band music I've tranferred from my collection.
Tyrone