[78-L] Canadian Columbia 78s (or the topic that won't die)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 26 20:03:28 PDT 2010

> From: stevenc at interlinks.net
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 22:41:05 -0400
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Canadian Columbia 78s (or the topic that won't die)

> From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> > When last we discussed this topic, Nell was tied to the railroad
> > tracks and .....
> >
> > But --- for those keeping score -- and I'm sure it been mentioned
> > before .. just got me a 78 of Teenage Beauty b/w Baby Sitter Rock by
> > Jimmy James and the Candy Kanes on Columbia C-2603. April 1958 if I
> > recall -- and it make it to number 26 on the CHUM charts!
> > Nice rockabilly on this one
> >
> C2603 was one of the later issues in the "C-" series; this was used for
> Canadian recordings, after Columbia(C) quit issuing Columbia and Okeh
> material from the US on that series (pressed by Sparton of Canada into
> 1954, and by Quality thereafter...!). IIRC, this series reached at least the
> high 2900's; since documentation is AFAIK non-existent, I have no idea
> if it ran to/past C-3000?

We've discussed this once or twice..they kept ALL the original Sparton numbering series going well into the early 70s. The series that began with C-1 went into the 3000s, the 6000s continued into the 7000s for French Canadian recordings, and there were even some blue label C-10000s of folk music in the late 50s. (Trivia..what was C-1? I have it, and it survived the move, even though it was an unlaminated pressing and it was right at the far end of a tightly packed box.)