[78-L] Canadian Columbia 78s (or the topic that won't die)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Apr 26 19:41:05 PDT 2010

From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> When last we discussed this topic, Nell was tied to the railroad
> tracks and .....
>
> But --- for those keeping score -- and I'm sure it been mentioned
> before .. just got me a 78 of Teenage Beauty b/w Baby Sitter Rock by
> Jimmy James and the Candy Kanes on Columbia C-2603. April 1958 if I
> recall -- and it make it to number 26 on the CHUM charts!
> Nice rockabilly on this one

C2603 was one of the later issues in the "C-" series; this was used for
Canadian recordings, after Columbia(C) quit issuing Columbia and Okeh
material from the US on that series (pressed by Sparton of Canada into
1954, and by Quality thereafter...!). IIRC, this series reached at least the
high 2900's; since documentation is AFAIK non-existent, I have no idea
if it ran to/past C-3000?

I'm not sure my own collection extends; I recall a C-29## issue, but I
think that was something I saw on the web, as opposed to a record
I own (or did?!)!

Steven C. Barr